The Decline of Black Families
"Today, black nonmarital births have soared to more than 72 percent among non-Hispanic blacks, compared with about 28 percent for whites," laments Clarence Page at the Chicago Tribune.
"Today, black nonmarital births have soared to more than 72 percent among non-Hispanic blacks, compared with about 28 percent for whites," laments Clarence Page at the Chicago Tribune. Page references a report released during the Lyndon Johnson administration that expressed concern for black children who grow up in a single parent home. "Yet, what can government do about marriage? There's little dispute that kids who grow up with married parents tend to do better by all measures than those who don't . But, the pro-marriage streak in mainstream American values rubs up against our love for personal freedom." Page find hope in programs like the Harlem Children's Zone.
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
A completely unexpected discovery beneath the ice.
- Scientists find remains of a tardigrade and crustaceans in a deep, frozen Antarctic lake.
- The creatures' origin is unknown, and further study is ongoing.
- Biology speaks up about Antarctica's history.
Bushier eyebrows are associated with higher levels of narcissism, according to new research.
- Science has provided an excellent clue for identifying the narcissists among us.
- Eyebrows are crucial to recognizing identities.
- The study provides insight into how we process faces and our latent ability to detect toxic people.
It's one factor that can help explain the religiosity gap.
- Sociologists have long observed a gap between the religiosity of men and women.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.