Teaching Kids about Money
Most Americans don’t have a rainy day fund and haven’t saved enough for retirement. How can we prevent future generations from making the same mistakes? Teach kids about money.
The biggest money mistake parents can make is not talking about it with their kids, says Karyn Hodgens, a mother, co-founder of Kidnexions, a website for children’s personal finance in Rocklin, Calif., and author of "Raised for Richness: Teaching Kids Money Skills for Life." "It’s one of the most important things to teach our kids, so that they can become self-sufficient, responsible, and productive later on." Parents don’t have to be financial experts to teach the basics: the importance of saving, budgeting and goal setting. Nor should parents ever forget that their actions, regarding money and everything else, serve as constant examples for their offspring.
New research identifies an unexpected source for some of earth's water.
- A lot of Earth's water is asteroidal in origin, but some of it may come from dissolved solar nebula gas.
- Our planet hides majority of its water inside: two oceans in the mantle and 4–5 in the core.
- New reason to suspect that water is abundant throughout the universe.
Progressive America would be half as big, but twice as populated as its conservative twin.
- America's two political tribes have consolidated into 'red' and 'blue' nations, with seemingly irreconcilable differences.
- Perhaps the best way to stop the infighting is to go for a divorce and give the two nations a country each
- Based on the UN's partition plan for Israel/Palestine, this proposal provides territorial contiguity and sea access to both 'red' and 'blue' America
SpaceX plans to launch about 12,000 internet-providing satellites into orbit over the next six years.
- SpaceX plans to launch 1,600 satellites over the next few years, and to complete its full network over the next six.
- Blanketing the globe with wireless internet-providing satellites could have big implications for financial institutions and people in rural areas.
- Some are concerned about the proliferation of space debris in Earth's orbit.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.