Switch Off the Aging Genes
By manipulating eight strands of D.N.A. that control the production of a crucial hormone linked to old age, scientists believe they could slow down the ageing process and ward off age related conditions.
What's the Most Recent Development?
"For 50 years [scientists] have observed the most abundant circulating steroid in the body, DHEAS, with no clue as to its role. Now its genes have shown us its importance in many parts of the ageing process," said professor Tim Spector of King's College in London. Spector has coauthored a report studying the link between the production of DHEAS and the aging process in over 14,000 people from Europe and the U.S. The steroid is also linked to medical conditions associated with aging, such as type 2 diabetes and lymphoma. Spector's team will spend the rest of the year looking closer at the eight genes that regulated DHEAS production.
What's the Big Idea?
Is modern science approaching a watershed moment with regards to aging? Average life expectancy has nearly doubled in the last century thanks to advances in modern medicine and democratized health care systems, but will we soon be able to directly manipulate our genes to achieve near-immortality? If the process of aging is caused by specific chemical reactions in our body, is it worth neutralizing those reactions. Beyond scientific possibilities, other serious questions abound: Do we have the resources to support an immortal population? What would motivate an immortal to act today given an infinite number of tomorrows?
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
The Canadian professor has an extensive collection posted on his site.
- Peterson's Great Books list features classics by Orwell, Jung, Huxley, and Dostoevsky.
- Categories include literature, neuroscience, religion, and systems analysis.
- Having recently left Patreon for "freedom of speech" reasons, Peterson is taking direct donations through Paypal (and Bitcoin).
Cosmologists propose a groundbreaking model of the universe using string theory.
- A new paper uses string theory to propose a new model of the universe.
- The researchers think our universe may be riding a bubble expanded by dark energy.
- All matter in the universe may exist in strings that reach into another dimension.
Despite incredible economic growth, it is not necessarily an investor's paradise.
- China's stock market is just 27 years old. It's economy has grown 30x over that time.
- Imagine if you had invested early and gotten in on the ground floor.
- Actually, you would have lost money. Here's how that's possible.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.