Stopping Body Hate
Women (and men) increasingly hate their bodies. Everyone knows poor body image is a problem. A new movement wants to do something to actually change our culture.
Women (and men) increasingly hate their bodies. "Everyone knows poor body image is a problem. A new movement wants to do something to actually change our culture. As (Courtney E.) Martin wrote... the process of plucking, primping, dieting, exercising, and striving to conform to beauty standards–and hating themselves when they inevitably do not–sucks up much of women’s time and energy that could be used to affect positive change for themselves and others. 'It becomes difficult to take actual action against a culture that is so toxic for women and girls,' she says, eager to find ways for women to channel their 'pain into activism.'"
New research links urban planning and political polarization.
- Canadian researchers find that excessive reliance on cars changes political views.
- Decades of car-centric urban planning normalized unsustainable lifestyles.
- People who prefer personal comfort elect politicians who represent such views.
Progressive America would be half as big, but twice as populated as its conservative twin.
- America's two political tribes have consolidated into 'red' and 'blue' nations, with seemingly irreconcilable differences.
- Perhaps the best way to stop the infighting is to go for a divorce and give the two nations a country each
- Based on the UN's partition plan for Israel/Palestine, this proposal provides territorial contiguity and sea access to both 'red' and 'blue' America
- Why can't we have a human-sized cat tree?
- What would happen if you got a spoonful of a neutron star?
- Why do we insist on dividing our wonderfully complex selves into boring little boxes
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.