Stephen Colbert Wins F.E.C. Fight
The satirist has successfully petitioned the Federal Election Commission to create a Super Political Action Committee, allowing him to spend unlimited funds to influence political elections.
What's the Latest Development?
After protracted legal wranglings with Viacom, Comedy Central political satirist Stephen Colbert has successfully petitioned the Federal Election Commission (F.E.C.) to create a Super P.A.C., giving him the authority to spend unlimited amounts of money to influence public elections. It remains to be seen how seriously Colbert will take his newly granted power, but certainly it will play a role in the 2012 presidential election. "Some people have said, ‘Is this some kind of joke?’ Colbert remarked. "I for one don't think participating in democracy is a joke."
What's the Big Idea?
The F.E.C.'s decision to allow Colbert to establish a Super P.A.C. comes in the wake of the controversial 2010 Supreme Court decision Citizens United v. F.E.C. in which the government body was stripped of its authority to regulate corporate spending on public elections. The 5-4 decision was split along the Court's ideological lines and was seen as a major setback in securing fair and transparent campaign funding laws. The decision declared a provision of the McCain-Feingold Act to be unconstitutional, granting 1st Amendment rights to corporate entities.
Pfizer's partnerships strengthen their ability to deliver vaccines in developing countries.
- Community healthcare workers face many challenges in their work, including often traveling far distances to see their clients
- Pfizer is helping to drive the UN's sustainable development goals through partnerships.
- Pfizer partnered with AMP and the World Health Organization to develop a training program for healthcare workers.
Orangutans join humans and bees in a very exclusive club
- Orangutan mothers wait to sound a danger alarm to avoid tipping off predators to their location
- It took a couple of researchers crawling around the Sumatran jungle to discover the phenomenon
- This ability may come from a common ancestor
Giving our solar system a "slap in the face."
- A stream of galactic debris is hurtling at us, pulling dark matter along with it
- It's traveling so quickly it's been described as a hurricane of dark matter
- Scientists are excited to set their particle detectors at the onslffaught
Journaling can help you materialize your ambitions.
- Organizing your thoughts can help you plan and achieve goals that might otherwise seen unobtainable.
- The Bullet Journal method, in particular, can reduce clutter in your life by helping you visualize your future.
- One way to view your journal might be less of a narrative and more of a timeline of decisions.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.