Stephen Colbert Wins F.E.C. Fight
The satirist has successfully petitioned the Federal Election Commission to create a Super Political Action Committee, allowing him to spend unlimited funds to influence political elections.
What's the Latest Development?
After protracted legal wranglings with Viacom, Comedy Central political satirist Stephen Colbert has successfully petitioned the Federal Election Commission (F.E.C.) to create a Super P.A.C., giving him the authority to spend unlimited amounts of money to influence public elections. It remains to be seen how seriously Colbert will take his newly granted power, but certainly it will play a role in the 2012 presidential election. "Some people have said, ‘Is this some kind of joke?’ Colbert remarked. "I for one don't think participating in democracy is a joke."
What's the Big Idea?
The F.E.C.'s decision to allow Colbert to establish a Super P.A.C. comes in the wake of the controversial 2010 Supreme Court decision Citizens United v. F.E.C. in which the government body was stripped of its authority to regulate corporate spending on public elections. The 5-4 decision was split along the Court's ideological lines and was seen as a major setback in securing fair and transparent campaign funding laws. The decision declared a provision of the McCain-Feingold Act to be unconstitutional, granting 1st Amendment rights to corporate entities.
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
Is it "perverseness," the "death drive," or something else?
A growing body of research shows promising signs that the keto diet might be able to improve mental health.
- The keto diet is known to be an effective tool for weight loss, however its effects on mental health remain largely unclear.
- Recent studies suggests that the keto diet might be an effective tool for treating depression, and clearing up so-called "brain fog," though scientists caution more research is necessary before it can be recommended as a treatment.
- Any experiments with the keto diet are best done in conjunction with a doctor, considering some people face problems when transitioning to the low-carb diet.
It's up to us humans to re-humanize our world. An economy that prioritizes growth and profits over humanity has led to digital platforms that "strip the topsoil" of human behavior, whole industries, and the planet, giving less and less back. And only we can save us.
- It's an all-hands-on-deck moment in the arc of civilization.
- Everyone has a choice: Do you want to try to earn enough money to insulate yourself from the world you're creating— or do you want to make the world a place you don't have to insulate yourself from?
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.