Start Ups Show Big Business the Way
In addition to in-house R&D, big businesses like Best Buy and Blue Cross Blue Shield are funding start ups to create new product lines and innovate the direction of the company.
What's the Latest Development?
The tech start up is coming to play a key role in the success of large non-technology companies. Best Buy, for instance, invests in a small company called Control4, which makes universal-remote apps that control TV, thermostats, and more. The big box retailer also invests in an augmented reality company working with face-recognition technology. Automaker BMW, has spend $100 million on apps that connect the company to a younger generation. One app tells you when taking the subway would be faster than driving, depending on lights and traffic.
What's the Big Idea?
By funding start ups that have fresh ideas, larger companies give themselves the first dibs on any new technology that might result from their investment, giving them an edge over competitors. A subsidiary of De Beers Jewellery spends millions of dollars funding tech start ups that use synthetic diamonds, which have a high thermal conductivity and resist radiation. The health-insurance giant BlueCross BlueShield is helping to fund the digital health care revolution, investing in companies that streamline electronic record keeping and make mobile medical devices.
Photo credit: shutterstock.com
Pfizer's partnerships strengthen their ability to deliver vaccines in developing countries.
- Community healthcare workers face many challenges in their work, including often traveling far distances to see their clients
- Pfizer is helping to drive the UN's sustainable development goals through partnerships.
- Pfizer partnered with AMP and the World Health Organization to develop a training program for healthcare workers.
Orangutans join humans and bees in a very exclusive club
- Orangutan mothers wait to sound a danger alarm to avoid tipping off predators to their location
- It took a couple of researchers crawling around the Sumatran jungle to discover the phenomenon
- This ability may come from a common ancestor
The definition of a kilogram will now be fixed to Planck's constant, a fundamental part of quantum physics.
- The new definition of a kilogram is based on a physical constant in quantum physics.
- Unlike the current definition of a kilogram, this measurement will never change.
- Scientists also voted to update the definitions of several other measurements in physics.
Journaling can help you materialize your ambitions.
- Organizing your thoughts can help you plan and achieve goals that might otherwise seen unobtainable.
- The Bullet Journal method, in particular, can reduce clutter in your life by helping you visualize your future.
- One way to view your journal might be less of a narrative and more of a timeline of decisions.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.