Spanish Firm Introduces Electric Bus Stop Charging Stations
Spanish firm Opbrid recently introduced designs for the Busbaar V3, an automated vehicle charger capable of powering buses at 650 kW. Three prototypes will be tested in Sweden later this year.
Here's a pretty neat piece by Jason Golson up at WIRED that profiles a design for a new type of electric bus charger that can give transit vehicles a hearty jolt as they rest a few minutes at a stop. It's called the Busbaar and it's the brainchild of designers working for the Spanish firm Opbrid. Prototypes of the automatic charging station are set to be installed and tested later this year in Sweden.
As Golson explains, electric buses are a smart idea because the stop-and-go haul of urban transit is incredibly inefficient for an internal combustion engine. When a bus follows a set route, it's also relatively easy to maintain charging stations along the way. What sets the Busbaar apart is its unique design -- with a charger that lowers from a large overhang -- and the impressive power it offers, charging vehicles at 650 kW. That number is nearly 3 times as much as what you get from a Tesla personal vehicle charger. Opbrid's design also includes an optional insulating cover (probably a good idea if they're testing in Sweden), as well as safety features that make it easy to use for most bus makes and models.
The firm also has designs for a similar product aimed at charging dump trucks, imaginatively named the Trukbaar.
Read more at Wired
Photo credit: Furrer+Frey and Opbrid, via WIRED
A federal judge ruled that the Trump administration likely violated the reporter's Fifth Amendment rights when it stripped his press credentials earlier this month.
- Acosta will be allowed to return to the White House on Friday.
- The judge described the ruling as narrow, and didn't rule one way or the other on violations of the First Amendment.
- The case is still open, and the administration may choose to appeal the ruling.
Progressive America would be half as big, but twice as populated as its conservative twin.
- America's two political tribes have consolidated into 'red' and 'blue' nations, with seemingly irreconcilable differences.
- Perhaps the best way to stop the infighting is to go for a divorce and give the two nations a country each
- Based on the UN's partition plan for Israel/Palestine, this proposal provides territorial contiguity and sea access to both 'red' and 'blue' America
The definition of a kilogram will now be fixed to Planck's constant, a fundamental part of quantum physics.
- The new definition of a kilogram is based on a physical constant in quantum physics.
- Unlike the current definition of a kilogram, this measurement will never change.
- Scientists also voted to update the definitions of several other measurements in physics.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.