SpaceX Is 'Go' for First Launch to Space Station
After approving the flight readiness review at the Johnson Space Center in Houston, Texas, NASA is moving forward with plans to launch the first private rendez-vous with the ISS.
What's the Latest Development?
The private company SpaceX is set to make the first-ever commercial voyage to the International Space Station using its Falcon rocket and Dragon space capsule. After approving the flight readiness review at the Johnson Space Center in Houston, Texas, NASA has decided to move forward with the April 30 launch date. "The mission will take roughly four days until the Dragon will dock with the space station in orbit and combines two separate tests into a single flight. The capsule will then remain attached to the station for 18 days."
What's the Big Idea?
Before docking with the Space Station, the Dragon capsule will perform various maneuvers to test its navigation and communication capabilities. But beyond the mission's technical achievements, it marks NASA's transition from "shouldering the responsibility to deliver payloads to orbit, to a consumer of space delivery services." This shift was emphasized Tuesday when the space shuttle discovery flew for the last time, on its way to Washington DC where it will be given to the Smithsonian. In SpaceX, NASA is primarily looking for a less expensive way to deliver payloads into orbit.
Photo credit: shutterstock.com
Pfizer's partnerships strengthen their ability to deliver vaccines in developing countries.
- Community healthcare workers face many challenges in their work, including often traveling far distances to see their clients
- Pfizer is helping to drive the UN's sustainable development goals through partnerships.
- Pfizer partnered with AMP and the World Health Organization to develop a training program for healthcare workers.
The stories we tell define history. So who gets the mic in America?
- History is written by lions. But it's also recorded by lambs.
- In order to understand American history, we need to look at the events of the past as more prismatic than the narrative given to us in high school textbooks.
- Including different voices can paint a more full and vibrant portrait of America. Which is why more walks of American life can and should be storytellers.
There is no doubt that the historical Jesus, the man who was executed by the Roman State in the first century CE, was a brown-skinned, Middle Eastern Jew.
I grew up in a Christian home, where a photo of Jesus hung on my bedroom wall. I still have it. It is schmaltzy and rather tacky in that 1970s kind of way, but as a little girl I loved it. In this picture, Jesus looks kind and gentle, he gazes down at me lovingly. He is also light-haired, blue-eyed, and very white.
Orangutans join humans and bees in a very exclusive club
- Orangutan mothers wait to sound a danger alarm to avoid tipping off predators to their location
- It took a couple of researchers crawling around the Sumatran jungle to discover the phenomenon
- This ability may come from a common ancestor
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.