Space Itself Remains a Mystery
No, not outer space. The very space in which everything exists is still poorly understood by physicists. Since Einstein, we have known space has a structure but not how it functions.
What's the Latest Development?
S. James Gates, a theoretical physicist at the University of Maryland at College Park, has been discussing what his field does and does not grasp about space—but not outer space. Rather, the space in which everything exists. While we're accustomed to thinking of space as essentially empty, Gates says it has a "seething quantum structure to it." He likens it to a boiling pot of water that bubbles up matter and energy in a totally random and spontaneous way. This behavior has been experimentally observed in the Casimir effect, he says.
What's the Big Idea?
Since Einstein, we have understood space as something more than a void. We have understood it as a structure, one that is intimately bound with time. Today, one of the great mysteries of space is the presence of dark energy, the inexplicable force that is causing the universe to expand at an accelerating rate. The real mystery, for Gates, is why our theories about dark energy and our observations of it are so far apart: "They’re off by a factor of multiplying 10 by itself 122 times. I call this the all-time worst error in physics."
Photo credit: Shutterstock.com
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
How you talk to people with drug addiction might save their life.
- Addiction is a learning disorder; it's not a sign that someone is a bad person.
- Tough love doesn't help drug-addicted people. Research shows that the best way to get people help is through compassion, empathy and support. Approach them as an equal human being deserving of respect.
- As a first step to recovery, Maia Szalavitz recommends the family or friends of people with addiction get them a complete psychiatric evaluation by somebody who is not affiliated with any treatment organization. Unfortunately, warns Szalavitz, some people will try to make a profit off of an addicted person without informing them of their full options.
Groundbreaking neuroscience confirms what Sigmund Freud first theorized.
China's Chang'e 4 biosphere experiment marks a first for humankind.
- China's Chang'e 4 lunar lander touched down on the far side of the moon on January 3.
- In addition to a lunar rover, the lander carried a biosphere experiment that contains five sets of plants and some insects.
- The experiment is designed to test how astronauts might someday grow plants in space to sustain long-term settlements.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.