Smarter, Faster Wi-Fi, Courtesy of the US Air Force
The military is working with University of Buffalo researchers to create better wireless radios using a concept that could improve civilian and commercial networks.
What's the Latest Development?
The US Air Force is joining forces, so to speak, with computer scientists at the University of Buffalo for a project designed to improve wireless communication between its planes. Their focus will be on producing cognitive radio software that is smart enough to determine the most efficient and effective way to communicate across several different frequency ranges. The government has allocated $2.7 million to the four-year project.
What's the Big Idea?
Cognitive radio "is the hottest topic in the wireless sector [nowadays]," says Worcester Polytechnic Institute professor Alex Wyglinski, and for good reason: The growing horde of mobile devices will require faster networks that can accommodate ever-greater streams of data. One big barrier in the way is the FCC, which bans the kind of frequency-hopping that makes cognitive radio work. The researchers will be able to test their software at an Air Force facility that operates outside of FCC rules, but the agency's policies will have to change before that software can leave the lab and enter the real world.
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
A growing body of research shows promising signs that the keto diet might be able to improve mental health.
- The keto diet is known to be an effective tool for weight loss, however its effects on mental health remain largely unclear.
- Recent studies suggests that the keto diet might be an effective tool for treating depression, and clearing up so-called "brain fog," though scientists caution more research is necessary before it can be recommended as a treatment.
- Any experiments with the keto diet are best done in conjunction with a doctor, considering some people face problems when transitioning to the low-carb diet.
She met mere mortals with and without the Vatican's approval.
- For centuries, the Virgin Mary has appeared to the faithful, requesting devotion and promising comfort.
- These maps show the geography of Marian apparitions – the handful approved by the Vatican, and many others.
- Historically, Europe is where most apparitions have been reported, but the U.S. is pretty fertile ground too.
Thinking your life is worthwhile is correlated with a variety of positive outcomes.
- A new study finds that adults who feel their lives are meaningful have better health and life outcomes.
- Adults who felt their lives were worthwhile tended to be more social and had healthier habits.
- The findings could be used to help improve the health of older adults.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.