From next Friday until August 31 slightly different sculptures of naked men will interrupt New York’s skyline as artist Anthony Gormley kicks off his first every New York-based installation.
From next Friday until August 31 slightly different sculptures of naked men will interrupt New York’s skyline as artist Anthony Gormley kicks off his first every New York-based installation. The sculptures, cast in bronze, and all of Gormley himself, will be perched on rooftops, standing on the grounds of Madison Square Park and dotting the sidewalks around the Flatiron district, The New York Time reports. "When I did it in London" — in 2007 these same figures could be found on bridges, buildings and streets along the South Bank of the Thames River — "the reaction was quite remarkable," he to the New York Times. "People would stop. They would notice one; they would immediately stop somebody else on the street, pointing to the thing. Then gatherings of people would result, and quite quickly they would register their environment in a way they hadn’t before." The Times reports that the not yet fully installed project has already caused a stir in New York, after the New York City Police department pre-emptively reassured the public that the figures were not "jumpers" on the verge of committing suicide.
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
How you talk to people with drug addiction might save their life.
- Addiction is a learning disorder; it's not a sign that someone is a bad person.
- Tough love doesn't help drug-addicted people. Research shows that the best way to get people help is through compassion, empathy and support. Approach them as an equal human being deserving of respect.
- As a first step to recovery, Maia Szalavitz recommends the family or friends of people with addiction get them a complete psychiatric evaluation by somebody who is not affiliated with any treatment organization. Unfortunately, warns Szalavitz, some people will try to make a profit off of an addicted person without informing them of their full options.
The rise of anti-scientific thinking and conspiracy is a concerning trend.
- Fifty years later after one of the greatest achievements of mankind, there's a growing number of moon landing deniers. They are part of a larger trend of anti-scientific thinking.
- Climate change, anti-vaccination and other assorted conspiratorial mindsets are a detriment and show a tangible impediment to fostering real progress or societal change.
- All of these separate anti-scientific beliefs share a troubling root of intellectual dishonesty and ignorance.
China's Chang'e 4 biosphere experiment marks a first for humankind.
- China's Chang'e 4 lunar lander touched down on the far side of the moon on January 3.
- In addition to a lunar rover, the lander carried a biosphere experiment that contains five sets of plants and some insects.
- The experiment is designed to test how astronauts might someday grow plants in space to sustain long-term settlements.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.