Sex in Space: The Final Frontier
Any long-distance interstellar travel will span generations which means humans must find ways to procreate in space. Gravity is essential to the healthy development of our bodies.
What's the Latest Development?
A forward-thinking department in the Pentagon held a symposium last week to discuss problems posed by interstellar space travel. Among the topics discussed by the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency was the problem of procreatin in space. "A trip to even one of the closest stars would take decades and possibly hundreds of years, likely spanning multiple generations. But scientists aren't even sure humans can procreate safely in the microgravity of space." Earth's gravity is necessary for healthy muscles, strong bones and good vision.
What's the Big Idea?
The star nearest our Sun, Alpha Centauri, is four light-years away, which means it would likely take a space ship a few decades to arrive. But the necessity of procreation in space remains an obstacle which we do not have the technology to overcome. Let alone what to do when humans arrive to a foreign solar system. Assuming there is a rocky planet we could land on, how would we survive the new world? Terraforming an atmosphere is one option. Another is engineering our biology to suit a new environment. That might create two distinct human species, incapable of breeding with each other.
- The meaning of the word 'confidence' seems obvious. But it's not the same as self-esteem.
- Confidence isn't just a feeling on your inside. It comes from taking action in the world.
- Join Big Think Edge today and learn how to achieve more confidence when and where it really matters.
- Prejudice is typically perpetrated against 'the other', i.e. a group outside our own.
- But ageism is prejudice against ourselves — at least, the people we will (hopefully!) become.
- Different generations needs to cooperate now more than ever to solve global problems.
The controversial herbicide is everywhere, apparently.
- U.S. PIRG tested 20 beers and wines, including organics, and found Roundup's active ingredient in almost all of them.
- A jury on August 2018 awarded a non-Hodgkin's lymphoma victim $289 million in Roundup damages.
- Bayer/Monsanto says Roundup is totally safe. Others disagree.
The team caught a glimpse of a process that takes 18,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 years.
- In Italy, a team of scientists is using a highly sophisticated detector to hunt for dark matter.
- The team observed an ultra-rare particle interaction that reveals the half-life of a xenon-124 atom to be 18 sextillion years.
- The half-life of a process is how long it takes for half of the radioactive nuclei present in a sample to decay.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.