Serious Arm Twisting
Karzai’s assent to an election runoff is apparently the result of some seriously high profile arm bending.
"Before Afghanistan’s president, Hamid Karzai, acceded to a runoff election on Tuesday, you could almost hear his arm being twisted," according to The New York Times. And who were the twisters? Well, some pretty "top level talent" comprised of secretary of state Hillary Clinton, UK Prime Minister Gordon Brown and French foreign minister Bernard Kouchner. Despite the international audit which found Mr Karzai had not achieved an elected majority after all, it still took a series of marathon negotiations to get him to accede to a second election. But, says The New York Times, this has been the easy part: "To ensure that the runoff is fair and credible, it’s going to take a lot more effort and high-level attention — and even more arm-twisting. And there are less than three weeks before the November 7 vote."
Are university safe spaces killing intellectual growth?
Our experience of time may be blinding us to its true nature, say scientists.
- Time may not be passing at all, says the Block Universe Theory.
- Time travel may be possible.
- Your perception of time is likely relative to you and limited.
From questionable shipwrecks to outright attacks, they clearly don't want to be bothered.
- Many have tried to contact the Sentinelese, to write about them, or otherwise.
- But the inhabitants of the 23 square mile island in the Bay of Bengal don't want anything to do with the outside world.
- Their numbers are unknown, but either 40 or 500 remain.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.