See Denmark -- All Of It -- In Minecraft
Thanks to the efforts of the Danish government, it's the most detailed virtual representation of a real country ever developed using the popular world-building platform.
What's the Latest Development?
From now until October 23, any Minecraft user with an interest in exploring Denmark can access a complete recreation of the entire country -- highways, buildings, houses, and all -- thanks to the efforts of the Danish Geodata Agency. The model, built to 1:1 scale, was developed using detailed geographical information that's now officially available for public and private use through an open data access program launched by the government. Although certain Minecraft options, such as TNT, have been disabled, users are free to explore and build just as in any other landscape.
What's the Big Idea?
Certain aspects of the model aren't completely accurate -- for example, the virtual building colors don't always match those of real buildings -- but, as writer Sam Machkovech notes, "this is as close as any country or company has gotten to delivering an online tour of [all of] its land." Such detail is often only possible through the use of data that's often held in reserve, and in secret, by large companies or governments. By basically opening its own data vaults, the Danish government hopes students and teachers in particular will take the opportunity to learn more about their country's geography.
Photo Credit: Shutterstock.com
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
Is it "perverseness," the "death drive," or something else?
A growing body of research shows promising signs that the keto diet might be able to improve mental health.
- The keto diet is known to be an effective tool for weight loss, however its effects on mental health remain largely unclear.
- Recent studies suggests that the keto diet might be an effective tool for treating depression, and clearing up so-called "brain fog," though scientists caution more research is necessary before it can be recommended as a treatment.
- Any experiments with the keto diet are best done in conjunction with a doctor, considering some people face problems when transitioning to the low-carb diet.
It's up to us humans to re-humanize our world. An economy that prioritizes growth and profits over humanity has led to digital platforms that "strip the topsoil" of human behavior, whole industries, and the planet, giving less and less back. And only we can save us.
- It's an all-hands-on-deck moment in the arc of civilization.
- Everyone has a choice: Do you want to try to earn enough money to insulate yourself from the world you're creating— or do you want to make the world a place you don't have to insulate yourself from?
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.