Screening Teens for Mental Illness
Screening teenagers for mental illness should become routine in doctors' offices nationwide as a part of preventative care, experts from the nonprofit program TeenScreen have said.
What's the Latest Development?
Under the federal healthcare reform legislation, mental-health screening is listed as a free, preventive-care service and independent groups are looking to extend the reach of such screenings. "So far, about 1,500 primary-care doctors nationwide are offering the screening—usually a short list of questions. However, many doctors may be reluctant to implement screening due to the time it takes, because they won't be reimbursed for the service or because they lack knowledge on how to implement a screening program, experts said."
What's the Big Idea?
Are mental illnesses over-diagnosed in the U.S. or are they simply noticed too late? Could adult mental health problems be avoided by screening teens? "The need to address mental illness in children and teens is clear, said Christina Carro Newport, program manager of the TeenScreen National Center at Columbia University. About 11% of children and teens have mental illness that causes impairment, but only a small percentage are diagnosed and receive treatment. Suicide is the third leading cause of death for children age 11 to 18."
Orangutans join humans and bees in a very exclusive club
- Orangutan mothers wait to sound a danger alarm to avoid tipping off predators to their location
- It took a couple of researchers crawling around the Sumatran jungle to discover the phenomenon
- This ability may come from a common ancestor
In a breakthrough for nuclear fusion research, scientists at China's Experimental Advanced Superconducting Tokamak (EAST) reactor have produced temperatures necessary for nuclear fusion on Earth.
- The EAST reactor was able to heat hydrogen to temperatures exceeding 100 million degrees Celsius.
- Nuclear fusion could someday provide the planet with a virtually limitless supply of clean energy.
- Still, scientists have many other obstacles to pass before fusion technology becomes a viable energy source.
Journaling can help you materialize your ambitions.
- Organizing your thoughts can help you plan and achieve goals that might otherwise seen unobtainable.
- The Bullet Journal method, in particular, can reduce clutter in your life by helping you visualize your future.
- One way to view your journal might be less of a narrative and more of a timeline of decisions.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.