Scrapping the James Webb Telescope
The James Webb Telescope has become a political football since it, predictably, has run over time and budget. Why can't N.A.S.A. and Congress do better financial planning?
What's the Latest Development?
Some in Congress are calling for the funding of the James Webb Space Telescope to be revoked, thereby cancelling the project. The telescope is currently expected to be finished four years late and run $6 billion over budget. But lowballing the cost of projects before Congress is just the way America does business, says Edward Weiler, retired head of N.A.S.A. space sciences. "You bid optimistically. That's not just a problem with the James Webb Space Telescope. We see it at N.A.S.A. all the time; you see it at defense contractors."
What's the Big Idea?
Perhaps estimating the cost of a project which has never been done before is impossible by definition. But when it comes to ambitious projects, one might notice a pattern of delays and extra funding requests. So should financial managers be more frank with Congress about how much projects are really likely to cost? "The question is whether the benefit of greater realism in the majority of cases would be offset by the loss of benefits if legislators ruled out all projects that were likely to produce substantial cost overruns," says the Atlantic's Edward Tenner.
Upvote/downvote each of the videos below!
As you vote, keep in mind that we are looking for a winner with the most engaging social venture pitch - an idea you would want to invest in.
"Earth" features about 30 of the biggest names in entertainment.
- Lil Dicky is a rapper and comedian who released his debut album in 2015.
- His new music video, "Earth," features artists such as Justin Bieber, Ariana Grande, Ed Sheehan, Kevin Hart, and Leonardo DiCaprio.
- All proceeds of the music video will go to environmental causes, Dicky said.
Some evidence attributes a certain neurological phenomenon to a near death experience.
Time of death is considered when a person has gone into cardiac arrest. This is the cessation of the electrical impulse that drive the heartbeat. As a result, the heart locks up. The moment the heart stops is considered time of death. But does death overtake our mind immediately afterward or does it slowly creep in?
- A forensic artist in Scotland has made a hyper realistic model of an ancient dog.
- It was based on the skull of a dog dug up in Orkney, Scotland, which lived and died 4,000 years ago.
- The model gives us a glimpse of some of the first dogs humans befriended.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.