Scientists Profit from Space Tourism
Scientists are buying up tickets for privately-run trips to space. Space tourism teams like Virgin Atlantic offer relatively cheap ways for cosmologists to observe their subject of study.
Private space tourism companies like Virgin will give researchers greater (and cheaper) access to outer space, allowing them to complete more experiments: "'It’s almost impossible to get research on the space station at the moment,' said Mark Shelhamer, a professor at the Johns Hopkins University medical school who would like to study people’s balance and other motor sensory abilities before and after suborbital flights. On Earth, gravity is the dominant force, and many common processes—the way that water boils, for instance, and that a flame burns—behave much differently without it."
A federal judge ruled that the Trump administration likely violated the reporter's Fifth Amendment rights when it stripped his press credentials earlier this month.
- Acosta will be allowed to return to the White House on Friday.
- The judge described the ruling as narrow, and didn't rule one way or the other on violations of the First Amendment.
- The case is still open, and the administration may choose to appeal the ruling.
Protected animals are feared to be headed for the black market.
New research identifies an unexpected source for some of earth's water.
- A lot of Earth's water is asteroidal in origin, but some of it may come from dissolved solar nebula gas.
- Our planet hides majority of its water inside: two oceans in the mantle and 4–5 in the core.
- New reason to suspect that water is abundant throughout the universe.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.