Robot Ready to take on Ironmen
A robot around the size of a human hand has already climbed a 1,500ft rope up the Grand Canyon, driven the Le Mans circuit for 24 hours, and is set to do Hawaii's triathlon.
What's the Latest Development?
Evolta has already climbed up the Grand Canyon, driven the Le Mans circuit for 24 hours and is poised to don three different bodies to 'run', 'swim' and 'cycle' Hawaii's triathlon, one of the longest on Earth. The robot will try to cover a total of approximately 140 miles in 10 days, or 168 hours.
What's the Big Idea?
Don't expect Evolta to ride a professional-grade 'human' bicycle, though: the robot is around the size of a human hand. It's also by no means certain he will succeed—his first Grand Canyon climb failed due to a faulty 'foot'. 'This is very tough even for a sportsman, but I think it is worth a try,' says veteran robot creator Tomotaka Takahashi.
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
Quoth the parrot — "Nevermore."
- Edgar Allan Poe (1809–1949) is considered one of America's great writers.
- Poe penned his most famous poem, The Raven, in his 30s.
- Originally, the poem's feathered subject was a bit flamboyant.
Evolution doesn't clean up after itself very well.
- An evolutionary biologist got people swapping ideas about our lingering vestigia.
- Basically, this is the stuff that served some evolutionary purpose at some point, but now is kind of, well, extra.
- Here are the six traits that inaugurated the fun.
- Facebook and Google began as companies with supposedly noble purposes.
- Creating a more connected world and indexing the world's information: what could be better than that?
- But pressure to return value to shareholders came at the expense of their own users.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.