"How should we begin to make amends for raising a generation obsessed with the pursuit of material wealth and indifferent to so much else?" asks Tony Judt.
Tony Judt writes that our culture has become profoundly selfish and materialistic in the past 30 years -- and that this quality is not inherent in the human condition. "How should we begin to make amends for raising a generation obsessed with the pursuit of material wealth and indifferent to so much else? Perhaps we might start by reminding ourselves and our children that it wasn't always thus. ... There was a time when we ordered our lives differently."
The stories we tell define history. So who gets the mic in America?
- History is written by lions. But it's also recorded by lambs.
- Including different voices can paint a more full and vibrant portrait of America. Which is why more walks of American life can and should be storytellers.
A glass of juice has as much sugar, ounce for ounce, as a full-calorie soda. And those vitamins do almost nothing.
Quick: think back to childhood (if you've reached the scary clown you've gone too far). What did your parents or guardians give you to keep you quiet? If you're anything like most parents, it was juice. But here's the thing: juice is bad for you.
Orangutans join humans and bees in a very exclusive club
- Orangutan mothers wait to sound a danger alarm to avoid tipping off predators to their location
- It took a couple of researchers crawling around the Sumatran jungle to discover the phenomenon
- This ability may come from a common ancestor
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.