Reining in Ahab
Anti-whaling countries could issue a number of allowances to countries defying a moratorium on whaling—potentially limiting the total number of whales being slaughtered each year.
Despite an international moratorium on commercial whaling that was passed in 1986, the number of whales that have been killed by harpoon has risen steadily to about 1,700 in 2009. Recognizing this, a number of anti-whaling countries now have proposed a deal that would give currently whaling countries a limited number of allowances—potentially limiting the total number of whales being slaughtered.
Orangutans join humans and bees in a very exclusive club
- Orangutan mothers wait to sound a danger alarm to avoid tipping off predators to their location
- It took a couple of researchers crawling around the Sumatran jungle to discover the phenomenon
- This ability may come from a common ancestor
The definition of a kilogram will now be fixed to Planck's constant, a fundamental part of quantum physics.
- The new definition of a kilogram is based on a physical constant in quantum physics.
- Unlike the current definition of a kilogram, this measurement will never change.
- Scientists also voted to update the definitions of several other measurements in physics.
Journaling can help you materialize your ambitions.
- Organizing your thoughts can help you plan and achieve goals that might otherwise seen unobtainable.
- The Bullet Journal method, in particular, can reduce clutter in your life by helping you visualize your future.
- One way to view your journal might be less of a narrative and more of a timeline of decisions.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.