Regulating the Internet
While the U.K. will not prosecute Google for privacy violations, its legislature is considering whether the Internet should be more tightly regulated.
"Called by Harlow [Member of Parliament] Robert Halfon, both Google and Facebook were criticized for invading privacy on an 'industrial scale' and accused of systematically pushing an agenda while each time claiming that they regretted mistakes. Senior backbencher Mark Lancaster went so far as to accuse Google of revealing the location of a battered women’s hostel and then not helping when asked to take down the information that could allow vindictive ex-partners to hunt down their former victims."
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
Is it "perverseness," the "death drive," or something else?
Eight-dimensional octonions may hold the clues to solve fundamental mysteries.
- Physicists discover complex numbers called octonions that work in 8 dimensions.
- The numbers have been found linked to fundamental forces of reality.
- Understanding octonions can lead to a new model of physics.
It's up to us humans to re-humanize our world. An economy that prioritizes growth and profits over humanity has led to digital platforms that "strip the topsoil" of human behavior, whole industries, and the planet, giving less and less back. And only we can save us.
- It's an all-hands-on-deck moment in the arc of civilization.
- Everyone has a choice: Do you want to try to earn enough money to insulate yourself from the world you're creating— or do you want to make the world a place you don't have to insulate yourself from?
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.