Raul and Fidel
Following some high-level diplomacy, Secretary of State Clinton says Cuba refuses to cooperate with the U.S. to preserve it as a scapegoat for Cuba's failures.
Following some high-level diplomacy, Secretary of State Clinton says Cuba refuses to cooperate with the U.S. to preserve it as a scapegoat for Cuba's failures. "Cuba's response to recent US efforts to improve relations had revealed 'an intransigent, entrenched regime' in Havana, said the US secretary of state. The Cuban authorities have long blamed a 48-year US trade embargo for holding back the country's development. The US says the embargo will remain until Cuba improves human rights. Relations between Washington and the communist government in Havana have soured in recent months after early expectations of an improvement under the Obama administration. The BBC's Michael Voss in Havana says initial hopes of improved relations are receding with both sides resorting to much stronger and less diplomatic language."
What makes a life worth living as you grow older?
- Dr. Ezekiel Emanuel revisits his essay on wanting to die at 75 years old.
- The doctor believes that an old life filled with disability and lessened activity isn't worth living.
- Activists believe his argument stinks of ageism, while advances in biohacking could render his point moot.
The Amazon Rainforest is often called "The Planet's Lungs."
- For weeks, fires have been burning in the Amazon rainforest in Brazil, likely started by farmers and ranchers.
- Brazil's president, Jair Bolsonaro, has blamed NGOs for starting the flames, offering no evidence to support the claim.
- There are small steps you can take to help curb deforestation in the Amazon rainforest, which produces about 20 percent of the world's oxygen.
Emojis might contain more emotional information than meets the eye.
- A new study shows that people who frequently used emojis in text messages with potential dates engaged in more sexual activity and had more contact with those dates.
- However, the study only shows an association; it didn't establish causality.
- The authors suggest that emojis might help to convey nuanced emotional information that's lacking in strictly text-based messaging.