Rahm Emanuel's Innovative Plans to Grow Chicago
The city's mayor wants to take a regional path to growth, getting Chicago to cooperate with its 14 surrounding counties to capitalize on the area's collective resources. But will that work?
What's the Latest Development?
A refreshingly long-term economic growth strategy, too often curtailed by term limits and political favors, is emerging from the mayor's office in Chicago. As President Obama's former chief of staff, Chicago's mayor Rahm Emanuel knows a thing or two about politics. It is knowledge he will need to achieve his vision for a cooperative economic region that includes Chicago and its 14 surrounding counties. "The 14-county Chicago metro area, after all, would be the 20th largest economy if it were a country and is essential to the nation's future."
What's the Big Idea?
A new report called "A Plan for Economic Growth and Jobs" leads the mayor's initiative and is thought to be based in a 2010 economic conference hosted in Chicago by the London School of Economics. The report details ten strategies including, "becoming a leading hub of advanced manufacturing, further enhancing its position as a leading transportation and logistics hub, figuring out ways for employers to better articulate their employment needs, making Chicago a far more enviable tourist destination and making life far easier for entrepreneurs."
Photo credit: shutterstock.com
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
A growing body of research shows promising signs that the keto diet might be able to improve mental health.
- The keto diet is known to be an effective tool for weight loss, however its effects on mental health remain largely unclear.
- Recent studies suggests that the keto diet might be an effective tool for treating depression, and clearing up so-called "brain fog," though scientists caution more research is necessary before it can be recommended as a treatment.
- Any experiments with the keto diet are best done in conjunction with a doctor, considering some people face problems when transitioning to the low-carb diet.
Even when they suffer costs in doing so.
- It's commonly thought that the suppression of female sexuality is perpetuated by either men or women.
- In a new study, researchers used economics games to observe how both genders treat sexually-available women.
- The results suggests that both sexes punish female promiscuity, though for different reasons and different levels of intensity.
Thinking your life is worthwhile is correlated with a variety of positive outcomes.
- A new study finds that adults who feel their lives are meaningful have better health and life outcomes.
- Adults who felt their lives were worthwhile tended to be more social and had healthier habits.
- The findings could be used to help improve the health of older adults.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.