New U.S. airport security measures mark the end of broad national and racial profiling in favor of intelligence-based screening criteria.
New U.S. airport security measures mark the end of broad national and racial profiling in favor of intelligence-based screening criteria. "Travellers will be picked out according to how closely they match intelligence on potential terrorist threats. A senior administration official, who spoke to reporters on condition of anonymity, said the new system would require travellers who match information about terrorism suspects, such as a physical description, partial name or travel pattern, to undergo additional screening. 'So it's much more tailored to what the intel is telling us, what the threat is telling us, as opposed to stopping all individuals of a particular nationality or all individuals using a particular passport,' the official said. He described the measures being scrapped as a 'blunt-force instrument'. The names of terrorism suspects identified by the US government will continue to be included on security watch lists and no-fly lists as a part of airline security. The new policy affects US citizens, as well as travellers coming into the United States from abroad. The measures in force since January required that passengers travelling to the US from 14 countries be subjected to especially rigorous pre-flight screening."
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
A growing body of research shows promising signs that the keto diet might be able to improve mental health.
- The keto diet is known to be an effective tool for weight loss, however its effects on mental health remain largely unclear.
- Recent studies suggests that the keto diet might be an effective tool for treating depression, and clearing up so-called "brain fog," though scientists caution more research is necessary before it can be recommended as a treatment.
- Any experiments with the keto diet are best done in conjunction with a doctor, considering some people face problems when transitioning to the low-carb diet.
She met mere mortals with and without the Vatican's approval.
- For centuries, the Virgin Mary has appeared to the faithful, requesting devotion and promising comfort.
- These maps show the geography of Marian apparitions – the handful approved by the Vatican, and many others.
- Historically, Europe is where most apparitions have been reported, but the U.S. is pretty fertile ground too.
Thinking your life is worthwhile is correlated with a variety of positive outcomes.
- A new study finds that adults who feel their lives are meaningful have better health and life outcomes.
- Adults who felt their lives were worthwhile tended to be more social and had healthier habits.
- The findings could be used to help improve the health of older adults.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.