Psychological Aftershocks in Japan
Disaster survivors in Japan must not only deal with physical trauma from earthquakes and tsunamis, but with psychological distress that can strike immediately, soon after or long after the event.
Post-traumatic stress disorder is an unpredictable psychological consequence of Japan's most recent earthquake and tsunami. "'There will be people who will be able to move back to how things were, and there's going to be a subset of people who are going to have more mental health issues,' said Melissa Brymer, a clinical psychologist and director of the Terrorism and Disaster Programs for the National Center for Child Traumatic Stress at UCLA. Post-traumatic stress disorder—an anxiety disorder occurring after a traumatic event—can strike some immediately or long after a stressful episode."
Delay, deny and deflect were the strategies Facebook has used to navigate scandals it's faced in recent years, according to the New York Times.
- The exhaustive report is based on interviews with more than 50 people with ties to the company.
- It outlines how senior executives misled the public and lawmakers in regards to what it had discovered about privacy breaches and Russian interference in U.S. politics.
- On Thursday, Facebook cut ties with one of the companies, Definers Public Relations, listed in the report.
Protected animals are feared to be headed for the black market.
Sure we know it would be bad, but what do all of these scary numbers really mean?
- At the press time, the value was $21.7 trillion dollars.
- Lots of people know that a default would be bad, but not everybody seems to get how horrible it would be.
- While the risk is low, knowing what would happen if a default did occur is important information for all voters.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.