Processed Food Is Good for You
The dietary zeitgeist favors foods that are 'whole' over those that are 'processed'. But omitting processed, packaged foods can make it hard to meet your body’s dietary needs.
What's the Latest Development?
Connie Weaver, head of Purdue University's Department of Food and Nutrition, recently emphasized the nutritional value of processed foods before the American Dietetic Association in San Diego. "It is not a good recommendation to think people can have ‘fresh’ and ‘local’ foods meet all their nutrient needs," said Weaver. "We depend a lot on processed foods." Despite the current emphasis on eating whole, local foods, processed foods are convenient, nutritious and practically unavoidable. Weaver said emphasis should be placed on identifying the healthiest processed foods.
What's the Big Idea?
So much of today's food is processed that trying to categorically avoid it may leave your body without the nutrition it needs. Instead, look at food labels to avoid excess amounts of sodium, artificial colors, trans fats, artificial sweeteners and 'too many stabilizers, which portend a product that’s not going to taste as good'. What's important is what food processing leaves behind. Among the healthiest processed foods are yogurt, canned beans, jarred spaghetti sauce, oatmeal, canned salmon, peanut butter and frozen vegetables.
Upvote/downvote each of the videos below!
As you vote, keep in mind that we are looking for a winner with the most engaging social venture pitch - an idea you would want to invest in.
"Earth" features about 30 of the biggest names in entertainment.
- Lil Dicky is a rapper and comedian who released his debut album in 2015.
- His new music video, "Earth," features artists such as Justin Bieber, Ariana Grande, Ed Sheehan, Kevin Hart, and Leonardo DiCaprio.
- All proceeds of the music video will go to environmental causes, Dicky said.
Some evidence attributes a certain neurological phenomenon to a near death experience.
Time of death is considered when a person has gone into cardiac arrest. This is the cessation of the electrical impulse that drive the heartbeat. As a result, the heart locks up. The moment the heart stops is considered time of death. But does death overtake our mind immediately afterward or does it slowly creep in?
- A forensic artist in Scotland has made a hyper realistic model of an ancient dog.
- It was based on the skull of a dog dug up in Orkney, Scotland, which lived and died 4,000 years ago.
- The model gives us a glimpse of some of the first dogs humans befriended.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.