Private Space Industry Looks Toward Mars
The private space company SpaceX has successfully launched a rocket that will soon carry supplies to the International Space Station. Its ultimate goal is a manned mission to Mars.
What's the Latest Development?
The private company SpaceX has successfully tested the launch preparedness of its Dragon capsule which will carry supplies to the International Space Station as early as next month. Made to be launched atop the Falcon 9 rocket, SpaceX's 'heavy-lift' rocket capable of carrying large payloads to space, the Dragon capsule went through a five-hour readiness test including fueling and a full launch countdown. "We ran down the countdown clock to a planned abort at T - 5 seconds," said SpaceX spokeswoman Kirstin Brost Grantham.
What's the Big Idea?
SpaceX has taken an early lead among companies investing in private space exploration. The firm currently has a $1.6 billion NASA contract for 12 unmanned missions to the ISS. Another company, Orbital Sciences Corp., is developing its own cargo freighter under a $1.9 billion NASA contract. While SpaceX's Dragon capsule is currently designed for unmanned missions, the company "is also working on a crewed version of the capsule that it hopes will carry astronauts to the space station and, eventually, Mars."
Photo credit: shutterstock.com
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
It's up to us humans to re-humanize our world. An economy that prioritizes growth and profits over humanity has led to digital platforms that "strip the topsoil" of human behavior, whole industries, and the planet, giving less and less back. And only we can save us.
- It's an all-hands-on-deck moment in the arc of civilization.
- Everyone has a choice: Do you want to try to earn enough money to insulate yourself from the world you're creating— or do you want to make the world a place you don't have to insulate yourself from?
A growing body of research shows promising signs that the keto diet might be able to improve mental health.
- The keto diet is known to be an effective tool for weight loss, however its effects on mental health remain largely unclear.
- Recent studies suggests that the keto diet might be an effective tool for treating depression, and clearing up so-called "brain fog," though scientists caution more research is necessary before it can be recommended as a treatment.
- Any experiments with the keto diet are best done in conjunction with a doctor, considering some people face problems when transitioning to the low-carb diet.
Upload your mind? Here's a reality check on the Singularity.
- Though computer engineers claim to know what human consciousness is, many neuroscientists say that we're nowhere close to understanding what it is, or its source.
- Scientists are currently trying to upload human minds to silicon chips, or re-create consciousness with algorithms, but this may be hubristic because we still know so little about what it means to be human.
- Is transhumanism a journey forward or an escape from reality?
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.