Pricing Medical Procedures
As America becomes more aware of the costs its healthcare system imposes on the national economy, online sources are helping consumers find out about healthcare prices.
"In bygone days, when more workers had comprehensive healthcare insurance, the price of medical procedures was not much of an issue. But now, with many people having to make do with high-deductable plans—if they have insurance at all—price becomes a huge consideration. 'We are seeing more and more of this, and it's only going to grow over time,' said Martin Rosen, executive vice president and co-founder of the Health Advocate, a Philadelphia consulting firm. The situation has forced many consumers to become comparison shoppers when it comes to medical matters."
Setting a simple intention and coming prepared can help you — and those around you — win big.
- Setting an intention doesn't have to be complicated, and it can make a great difference when you're hoping for a specific outcome.
- When comedian Pete Holmes is preparing to record an episode of his podcast, "You Made it Weird with Pete Holmes," he takes 15 seconds to check in with himself. This way, he's primed with his own material and can help guests feel safe and comfortable to share theirs, as well.
- Taking time to visualize your goal for whatever you've set out to do can help you, your colleagues, and your projects succeed.
The Amazon Rainforest is often called "the planet's lungs."
- For weeks, fires have been burning in the Amazon rainforest in Brazil, likely started by farmers and ranchers.
- Brazil's president, Jair Bolsonaro, has blamed NGOs for starting the flames, offering no evidence to support the claim.
- There are small steps you can take to help curb deforestation in the Amazon rainforest, which produces about 20 percent of the world's oxygen.
How do we combat the roots of these hateful forces?
- American Psychological Association sees a dubious and weak link between mental illness and mass shootings.
- Center for the study of Hate and Extremism has found preliminary evidence that political discourse is tied to hate crimes.
- Access to guns and violent history is still the number one statistically significant figure that predicts gun violence.