Polar Bear vs. Grizzly Bear
Climate change is steering grizzly bears and polar bears on a collision course. When they meet in the middle, fights are inevitable. Find out who is favored to win, evolutionarily speaking.
It's long been shown that the rapidly warming earth is bad news for polar bears. Their habitat is shrinking, as are their food sources and breeding grounds. If global warming continues, they may face a tough competitor. Grizzly bear habitat is limited by frigid winters and sheets of ice. As their world warms up, they're expanding north. The habitats of the two predators are already beginning to overlap. If they continue to do so, the polar bears, not the grizzlies, are going to be the losers in the competition for survival. This is surprising to some. Grizzlies are just a frighteningly-named subspecies of brown bear.
What makes a life worth living as you grow older?
- Dr. Ezekiel Emanuel revisits his essay on wanting to die at 75 years old.
- The doctor believes that an old life filled with disability and lessened activity isn't worth living.
- Activists believe his argument stinks of ageism, while advances in biohacking could render his point moot.
The Amazon Rainforest is often called "The Planet's Lungs."
- For weeks, fires have been burning in the Amazon rainforest in Brazil, likely started by farmers and ranchers.
- Brazil's president, Jair Bolsonaro, has blamed NGOs for starting the flames, offering no evidence to support the claim.
- There are small steps you can take to help curb deforestation in the Amazon rainforest, which produces about 20 percent of the world's oxygen.
Emojis might contain more emotional information than meets the eye.
- A new study shows that people who frequently used emojis in text messages with potential dates engaged in more sexual activity and had more contact with those dates.
- However, the study only shows an association; it didn't establish causality.
- The authors suggest that emojis might help to convey nuanced emotional information that's lacking in strictly text-based messaging.