Phone-to-Phone Money Transfers
Owe your friend some cash but forgot your wallet? PayPal announced on Wednesday a new feature that allows phone-to-phone money transfers using technology for Android devices.
What's the Latest Development?
PayPal announced this week that its smartphone application will allow users to transfer funds electronically between phones. If you own a Samsung Nexus S phone, which uses the Android platform, you will now be able to transfer money to other Samsung Nexus S phones, or any device which shares a similar near field communications (N.F.C.) chip. The same technology is currently used to allow smartphones to exchange contact information, rather than entering in the data by hand. Already popular in Asia, N.F.C. chips are likely to become increasingly popular in the U.S.
What's the Big Idea?
Money continues its march toward abstraction. The major political discussions that took place when the dollar was taken off the gold standard seem anachronistic at a time when money is becoming further and further removed from any fixed source. Paper currency is already being phased out as some companies—airlines, for example—seek to streamline their business operations by accepting only electronic forms of money. How far off are we from the elimination of credit and debit cards? When will a single device serve all our needs, and then, how secure will our money be?
Pfizer's partnerships strengthen their ability to deliver vaccines in developing countries.
- Community healthcare workers face many challenges in their work, including often traveling far distances to see their clients
- Pfizer is helping to drive the UN's sustainable development goals through partnerships.
- Pfizer partnered with AMP and the World Health Organization to develop a training program for healthcare workers.
The famed author headed to the pond thanks to Indian philosophy.
- The famed author was heavily influenced by Indian literature, informing his decision to self-exile on Walden Pond.
- He was introduced to these texts by his good friend's father, William Emerson.
- Yoga philosophy was in America a century before any physical practices were introduced.
Progressive America would be half as big, but twice as populated as its conservative twin.
- America's two political tribes have consolidated into 'red' and 'blue' nations, with seemingly irreconcilable differences.
- Perhaps the best way to stop the infighting is to go for a divorce and give the two nations a country each
- Based on the UN's partition plan for Israel/Palestine, this proposal provides territorial contiguity and sea access to both 'red' and 'blue' America
A little goes a long way.
- A recent study from the Department of Health and Human Services found that 80 percent of Americans don't exercise enough.
- Small breaks from work add up, causing experts to recommend short doses of movement rather than waiting to do longer workouts.
- Rethinking what exercise is can help you frame how you move throughout your day.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.