Peacebuilding: A New Way to End War
Out of the United Nations comes a new idea for ending war. Peacebuilders: An intensive process that gives permission for foreign "interference" in aiding conflict resolution.
In the conflict resolution toolbox there are two primary tools: peacemaking and peacekeeping. Peacemaking brings politicians together to find political solutions to conflict and peacekeeping enforces peace agreements with an international mandate. Peacebuilding goes beyond both, says the U.N.'s Judy Cheng-Hopkins. "Peacebuilding is about what comes next—the slow and thankless slog of building a country back up. For generations, that job has been piecemeal: a little emergency aid here, some development projects there. But those professionals are trained differently, rarely coordinate, and are sometimes outright antagonistic."
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
Despite incredible economic growth, it is not necessarily an investor's paradise.
- China's stock market is just 27 years old. It's economy has grown 30x over that time.
- Imagine if you had invested early and gotten in on the ground floor.
- Actually, you would have lost money. Here's how that's possible.
The controversy around the Torah codes gets a new life.
- Mathematicians claim to see a predictive pattern in the ancient Torah texts.
- The code is revealed by a method found with special computer software.
- Some events described by reading the code took place after the code was written.
- Facebook and Google began as companies with supposedly noble purposes.
- Creating a more connected world and indexing the world's information: what could be better than that?
- But pressure to return value to shareholders came at the expense of their own users.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.