Paterson Won't Run
After the New York Times broke a story about Paterson's possible intervention in a domestic abuse case on behalf of one of his aides, the governor of New York has suspended his election campaign.
After the New York Times broke a story about Paterson's possible intervention in a domestic abuse case on behalf of one of his aides, the governor of New York has suspended his election campaign. "The announcement came less than a week after Mr. Paterson formally announced his candidacy. The governor acknowledged that the episode involving his longtime aide David W. Johnson had become a distraction, but he vowed to serve out the remaining 308 days of his term and remain focused on his work. 'There are times in politics when you have to know not to strive for service, but to step back, and that moment has come for me,' Mr. Paterson told a room full of reporters in an afternoon news conference. In the most dramatic moment, the governor raised his right hand and offered what he called a 'personal oath,' stressing that he had not abused his power in his response to the domestic violence case. 'I have never abused my office, not now, not ever,' said Mr. Paterson, his wife, Michelle Paige Paterson, by his side. 'I believe that when the facts are reviewed, the truth will prevail,' he added. Even as the governor was speaking, however, new calls emerged for him to resign, amid a criminal investigation by the office of Attorney General Andrew M. Cuomo. Moments after the governor’s news conference ended, the New York City comptroller, John C. Liu, became the latest fellow Democrat to call for the governor to step down."
Research in plant neurobiology shows that plants have senses, intelligence and emotions.
- The field of plant neurobiology studies the complex behavior of plants.
- Plants were found to have 15-20 senses, including many like humans.
- Some argue that plants may have awareness and intelligence, while detractors persist.
E-cigarettes may be safer than traditional cigarettes, but they come with their own risks.
- A new study used an MRI machine to examine how vaping e-cigarettes affects users' cardiovascular systems immediately after inhalation.
- The results showed that vaping causes impaired circulation, stiffer arteries and less oxygen in their blood.
- The new study adds to a growing body of research showing that e-cigarettes – while likely safer than traditional cigarettes – are far from harmless.
Since the idea of locality is dead, space itself may not be an aloof vacuum: Something welds things together, even at great distances.
- Realists believe that there is an exactly understandable way the world is — one that describes processes independent of our intervention. Anti-realists, however, believe realism is too ambitious — too hard. They believe we pragmatically describe our interactions with nature — not truths that are independent of us.
- In nature, properties of Particle B may be depend on what we choose to measure or manipulate with Particle A, even at great distances.
- In quantum mechanics, there is no explanation for this. "It just comes out that way," says Smolin. Realists struggle with this because it would imply certain things can travel faster than light, which still seems improbable.