Obesity Increases Risk For a Serious Car Accident
Drunk driving, not being attentive, road rage and sleep deprivation are the most common causes of a car accident. Now reports say, being obese can put a person at risk of having a car accident.
Article written by guest writer Rin Mitchell
What’s the Latest Development?
Based on a study conducted by researchers at the University of Laval, “morbidly obese drivers have an increased risk of crashing because of weight-related health issues.” The research took information from past studies to examine the link between driving and obesity. What does being obese have to do with car accidents? “Poor car to person fit is thought to be the leading cause of the increased risk of injury and fatality.”
What’s the Big Idea?
Should automakers start producing cars with body size, shape and weight in mind? Obesity is a problem in the United States—one that is often perceived as a personal problem for those suffering from the disease. The idea of obesity being a factor in car accidents changes that perception, because it now poses a risk for non-obese people. Either automakers will need to change the way they build cars, or some sort of law will have to be put into place about weight and the operation of vehicles. Obesity is already a serious health issue, and now it has become a safety issue.
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
Even some teachers suffer from anxiety about math.
I teach people how to teach math, and I've been working in this field for 30 years. Across those decades, I've met many people who suffer from varying degrees of math trauma – a form of debilitating mental shutdown when it comes to doing mathematics.
She met mere mortals with and without the Vatican's approval.
- For centuries, the Virgin Mary has appeared to the faithful, requesting devotion and promising comfort.
- These maps show the geography of Marian apparitions – the handful approved by the Vatican, and many others.
- Historically, Europe is where most apparitions have been reported, but the U.S. is pretty fertile ground too.
The legacy of Felix Dzerzhinsky, who led Soviet secret police in the "Red Terror," still confounds Russia.
- Felix Dzerzhinsky led the Cheka, Soviet Union's first secret police.
- The Cheka was infamous for executing thousands during the Red Terror of 1918.
- The Cheka later became the KGB, the spy organization where Russia's President Putin served for years.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.