Now Open for Business: The Outer Orbit Economy
SpaceX's successful rocket launch is the proof of concept not only for private space missions but for an entirely new economy based on taking individuals and businesses to and from space.
What's the Latest Development?
Having successfully launched the world's first private space vehicle, the company SpaceX has secured a $1.6 billion NASA contract and will one day carry astronauts to and from the International Space Station. Other space ventures are close on its heels. The company Blue Origin, backed by Amazon.com founder Jeff Bezos, plans to ferry goods to the ISS as well as build "a suborbital crew capsule and propulsion vehicle designed to take passengers." Other firms like Sierra Nevada Corp. and Boeing are also designing space vehicles to compete for NASA contracts, as the space agency's role shifts from a creator of space technology to that of a consumer.
What's the Big Idea?
Beyond NASA, the outer orbit economy is being opened by Richard Branson's Virgin Galactic, which will be the first company to offer tourists a joyride in space. Another space tourism venture, being developed by Bigelow Aerospace and SpaceX, will blast people to small space hotel units that orbit the Earth and are capable of housing small groups of next-generation sightseers. "How long before ExxonMobile, Apple and Google decide it would be nice to have a private retreat orbiting Earth," asks Forbes' Karsten Strauss, "complete with boardroom, several private com-links and a smoothie station?"
Photo credit: Shutterstock.com
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
A growing body of research shows promising signs that the keto diet might be able to improve mental health.
- The keto diet is known to be an effective tool for weight loss, however its effects on mental health remain largely unclear.
- Recent studies suggests that the keto diet might be an effective tool for treating depression, and clearing up so-called "brain fog," though scientists caution more research is necessary before it can be recommended as a treatment.
- Any experiments with the keto diet are best done in conjunction with a doctor, considering some people face problems when transitioning to the low-carb diet.
Even when they suffer costs in doing so.
- It's commonly thought that the suppression of female sexuality is perpetuated by either men or women.
- In a new study, researchers used economics games to observe how both genders treat sexually-available women.
- The results suggests that both sexes punish female promiscuity, though for different reasons and different levels of intensity.
Thinking your life is worthwhile is correlated with a variety of positive outcomes.
- A new study finds that adults who feel their lives are meaningful have better health and life outcomes.
- Adults who felt their lives were worthwhile tended to be more social and had healthier habits.
- The findings could be used to help improve the health of older adults.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.