Nobody's Quiting Facebook
Social media's honeymoon is over, says James Rainey at The L.A. Times, but those bothered by privacy concerns and a distracted lifestyle are rethinking their relationship to Facebook et al rather than quiting.
Social media's honeymoon is over, says James Rainey at The L.A. Times, but those bothered by privacy concerns and a distracted lifestyle are rethinking their relationship to Facebook et al rather than quiting. "Clay Shirky, who writes about the social and economic effects of the Internet, makes a strong case that the new technologies and platforms are 'the sort of thing society grows into,' not out of...We continue to fumble around for the right balance. But most aren't quitting because of the annoyances. They're regrouping and redeploying."
In a breakthrough for nuclear fusion research, scientists at China's Experimental Advanced Superconducting Tokamak (EAST) reactor have produced temperatures necessary for nuclear fusion on Earth.
- The EAST reactor was able to heat hydrogen to temperatures exceeding 100 million degrees Celsius.
- Nuclear fusion could someday provide the planet with a virtually limitless supply of clean energy.
- Still, scientists have many other obstacles to pass before fusion technology becomes a viable energy source.
Giving our solar system a "slap in the face."
- A stream of galactic debris is hurtling at us, pulling dark matter along with it
- It's traveling so quickly it's been described as a hurricane of dark matter
- Scientists are excited to set their particle detectors at the onslffaught
The 116th Congress is set to break records in term of diversity among its lawmakers, though those changes are coming almost entirely from Democrats.
- Women and nonwhite candidates made record gains in the 2018 midterms.
- In total, almost half of the newly elected Congressional representatives are not white men.
- Those changes come almost entirely from Democrats; Republican members-elect are all white men except for one woman.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.