No Job Better Than a Bad Job
While losing work is stressful, recent findings show wellbeing associated with disengagement at work may result in an equal if not greater drop in wellbeing than unemployment.
What is worse: losing your job or losing interest in your job? "According to a Gallup Study, 42% percent of actively disengaged workers are thriving in their lives, compared with 48% of the unemployed. At the other end of the spectrum are 'engaged' employees who are involved in and enthusiastic about their work—71% of who are thriving. Gallup's findings are consistent with those in a recent Australian study that was published in the professional journal, Occupational and Environmental Medicine, which found that the unemployed have poorer mental health than the employed, but those with poor or unhappy work environments had worse health than the unemployed."
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
Is it "perverseness," the "death drive," or something else?
A disturbing interview given by a KGB defector in 1984 describes America of today and outlines four stages of mass brainwashing used by the KGB.
- Bezmenov described this process as "a great brainwashing" which has four basic stages.
- The first stage is called "demoralization" which takes from 15 to 20 years to achieve.
- According to the former KGB agent, that is the minimum number of years it takes to re-educate one generation of students that is normally exposed to the ideology of its country.
It's up to us humans to re-humanize our world. An economy that prioritizes growth and profits over humanity has led to digital platforms that "strip the topsoil" of human behavior, whole industries, and the planet, giving less and less back. And only we can save us.
- It's an all-hands-on-deck moment in the arc of civilization.
- Everyone has a choice: Do you want to try to earn enough money to insulate yourself from the world you're creating— or do you want to make the world a place you don't have to insulate yourself from?
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.