Next Generation Kinect Will Read Lips
Just like Hal 9000 in 2001, the next generation of the motion-sensing technology called Kinect may be able to read your lips as well as your emotions, determining if you're angry with your video game.
What's the Latest Development?
The next generation of the motion sensing technology Kinect, which is bundled with Microsoft's video game consul, may be advanced enough to read your lips. It may be able to read your emotional states, as well. "Kinect 2 will be so powerful it will enable games to detect when players are angry, and determine in which direction they are facing, and track the pitch and volume of player voices and facial characteristics to measure different emotional states."
What's the Big Idea?
While the Kinect technology gives Microsoft an edge in the world of gaming and awkward home exercise, the software company wants to see where else their brain child can go. A software development kit and Kinect Accelerator program have been launched which will fund ten Kinect-based start ups. That the technology evokes Hal 9000 in 2001 may given some the goosebumps. But developers say the Kinect will only read facial cues to determine your mood and that no reporting of the information will be allowed.
Photo credit: shutterstock.com
We're more dependent on them than we realize.
- Scientists says our survival depends on biodiversity.
- A natural climate strategy we often forget.
- Seeing our place among the Earth's living creatures.
There's a high social cost that comes with lighting up.
While short-term results are positive, there is mounting evidence against staying in ketosis for too long.
- Recent studies showed volunteers lost equal or more weight on high-carb, calorie-restricted diets than low-carb, calorie restricted diets.
- There might be positive benefits to short-term usage of a ketogenic diet.
- One dietician warns that the ketogenic diet could put diabetics at risk for diabetic ketoacidosis.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.