New York's MoMA To Offer Kickstarter-Funded Items For Sale
As part of this year's NYCxDESIGN festival, the iconic museum's store will feature 24 items that were successfully crowdfunded via Kickstarter. Among them will be a pocket-sized Instagram photo slideshow projector and an all-natural wood-based watch.
What's the Latest Development?
From May 13 to June 16, 24 Kickstarter-funded items -- including an easy-to-use guide to learning Chinese characters and a palm-sized set of four tearaway thumb drives -- will be available for purchase from two of the design stores run by New York's Museum of Modern Art (MoMA). The collaboration between the iconic museum and the popular crowdfunding platform is in honor of the upcoming NYCxDESIGN festival. According to its Web site, the festival "brings together all the disciplines of design, commerce, culture, education, and entertainment with a full, varied program, including exhibitions, installations, trade shows, talks, launches and open studios."
What's the Big Idea?
Often, even for those Kickstarter campaigns that end successfully, the products they helped create become harder to find. After noticing the number of innovative designs coming out of those funding drives, MoMA director of merchandising Emmanuel Platt "wanted to celebrate the ingenuity that has come from the company and thought NYCxDESIGN would be a perfect opportunity." The festival runs from May 9 through May 20.
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
How you talk to people with drug addiction might save their life.
- Addiction is a learning disorder; it's not a sign that someone is a bad person.
- Tough love doesn't help drug-addicted people. Research shows that the best way to get people help is through compassion, empathy and support. Approach them as an equal human being deserving of respect.
- As a first step to recovery, Maia Szalavitz recommends the family or friends of people with addiction get them a complete psychiatric evaluation by somebody who is not affiliated with any treatment organization. Unfortunately, warns Szalavitz, some people will try to make a profit off of an addicted person without informing them of their full options.
Meanwhile, Spaniards are the least likely to say their culture is superior to others.
- Survey by Pew Research Center shows great variation in chauvinism across Europe.
- Eight most chauvinist countries are in the east, and include Russia.
- British much more likely than French (and slightly more likely than Germans) to say their culture is "superior" to others.
China's Chang'e 4 biosphere experiment marks a first for humankind.
- China's Chang'e 4 lunar lander touched down on the far side of the moon on January 3.
- In addition to a lunar rover, the lander carried a biosphere experiment that contains five sets of plants and some insects.
- The experiment is designed to test how astronauts might someday grow plants in space to sustain long-term settlements.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.