New Mexico May Ban Hunting With Drones
Later this month, the state's Game Commission will vote on a proposal that, if passed, would make New Mexico the fourth state to outlaw a practice that sportsmen and animal activists say hurts "the concept of free chase."
What's the Latest Development?
Later this month, New Mexico's Game Commission plans to vote on a proposal that, if passed, would make it the fourth state (after Alaska, Colorado and Montana) to place restrictions on the use of drones in hunting. Specifically, the proposal "would make it illegal to use drones to signal an animal's location, to harass a game animal or to hunt a protected species observed from a drone within 48 hours." These rules already apply to manned aircraft; the goal is to redefine "aircraft" to include the unmanned variety.
What's the Big Idea?
Although the US government has yet to finalize regulations on commercial drones in general, several groups prefer to enact a ban on them sooner rather than later so that the original spirit of hunting is preserved. New Mexico Wildlife Federation spokesman Joel Gay drones would take the challenge out of the sport: "Hunting an animal with your physical senses...puts you on fairly even ground with these animals that can see far better, hear far better and smell far better than we can."
Photo Credit: Shutterstock.com
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
The Canadian professor has an extensive collection posted on his site.
- Peterson's Great Books list features classics by Orwell, Jung, Huxley, and Dostoevsky.
- Categories include literature, neuroscience, religion, and systems analysis.
- Having recently left Patreon for "freedom of speech" reasons, Peterson is taking direct donations through Paypal (and Bitcoin).
Cosmologists propose a groundbreaking model of the universe using string theory.
- A new paper uses string theory to propose a new model of the universe.
- The researchers think our universe may be riding a bubble expanded by dark energy.
- All matter in the universe may exist in strings that reach into another dimension.
Despite incredible economic growth, it is not necessarily an investor's paradise.
- China's stock market is just 27 years old. It's economy has grown 30x over that time.
- Imagine if you had invested early and gotten in on the ground floor.
- Actually, you would have lost money. Here's how that's possible.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.