New Election Ad App Tells You Who is Behind the Message
Ever wonder who is behind the political ad playing on the TV or radio? The Ad Hawk app for smart phones was developed to tell you exactly that.
What’s the Latest Development?
As November looms closer and closer, TV and radio airwaves are filling up with political ads for and against candidates at national and local levels. And unless the message ends with something like ‘I’m Mitt Romney and I approved this message,' it can be hard to figure out who is behind the advertisement. “Seizing on the rise of the smartphone, the non-profit group Sunlight Foundation, which works to increase government openness, has built an app called Ad Hawk that uses a phone's microphone to listen to campaign ads and identify them.” The app can tell you where the ad is airing, what group sponsors it, and any relevant information about that group.
What’s the Big Idea?
Using the technology normally used to identify popular songs, sponsors of political ads can be identified in just seconds. Any super PAC can sponsor political messages to promote their personal agenda and the Ad Hawk app lets consumers get an unbiased view of who is delivering that message. While a test of the verity of an ad’s message isn’t part of the app, knowing the track record of who is behind the ad can be just as illuminating.
Photo Credit: Christopher Halloran / Shutterstock.com
Researchers discover a link between nonverbal synchronization and relationship success.
- Scientists say coordinating movements leads to increased intimacy and sexual desire in a couple.
- The improved rapport and empathy was also observed in people who didn't know each other.
- Non-verbal clues are very important in the development stages of a relationship.
Humans evolved to live in the cold through a number of environmental and genetic factors.
- According to some relatively new research, many of our early human cousins preceded Homo sapien migrations north by hundreds of thousands or even millions of years.
- Cross-breeding with other ancient hominids gave some subsets of human population the genes to contend and thrive in colder and harsher climates.
- Behavioral and dietary changes also helped humans adapt to cold climates.
The comics titan worked for more than half a century to revolutionize and add nuance to the comics industry, and he built a vast community of fans along the way.
- Lee died shortly after being rushed to an L.A. hospital. He had been struggling with multiple illnesses over the past year, reports indicate.
- Since the 1950s, Lee has been one of the most influential figures in comics, helping to popularize heroes that expressed a level of nuance and self-doubt previously unseen in the industry.
- Lee, who's later years were marked by some financial and legal tumult, is survived by his daughter, Joan Celia "J.C." Lee.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.