NASA Building Food Menu for 2030s Mars Mission
NASA is working with Lockheed Martin to design a diet for astronauts on their way to Mars. Food is such an essential part of the journey that one astronaut may be dedicated to meal preparations.
What's the Latest Development?
In order for NASA to send humans to Mars by the 2030s, six to eight astronauts will require a tasty and nutritious food supply to keep them going. "That's no simple feat considering it will likely take six months to get to the Red Planet, astronauts will have to stay there 18 months and then it will take another six months to return to Earth." So NASA is working with Lockheed Martin to meet mission requirements and help astronauts enjoy eating. Because there is gravity on Mars, astronauts may be able to keep a vegetable garden and boil water using a pressure cooker (needed because of the planet's reduced atmosphere).
What's the Big Idea?
Psychology also plays an important role in creating the astronaut's menu. Due to the lack of gravity in space, smell and taste are diminished, so astronauts may make other kinds of important connections with their food. That can mean planning specials meals that create a link to home on Earth, such as eating stuffing and mashed potatoes on Thanksgiving, or using spice to give meals an extra kick. Planners estimate that food set for Mars must have a shelf-life of five years, which rules out meat and dairy products. Food would form such an essential part of a manned mission to Mars that NASA may dedicate one astronaut solely to preparing food.
Photo credit: Shutterstock.com
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
The Canadian professor has an extensive collection posted on his site.
- Peterson's Great Books list features classics by Orwell, Jung, Huxley, and Dostoevsky.
- Categories include literature, neuroscience, religion, and systems analysis.
- Having recently left Patreon for "freedom of speech" reasons, Peterson is taking direct donations through Paypal (and Bitcoin).
Cosmologists propose a groundbreaking model of the universe using string theory.
- A new paper uses string theory to propose a new model of the universe.
- The researchers think our universe may be riding a bubble expanded by dark energy.
- All matter in the universe may exist in strings that reach into another dimension.
Despite incredible economic growth, it is not necessarily an investor's paradise.
- China's stock market is just 27 years old. It's economy has grown 30x over that time.
- Imagine if you had invested early and gotten in on the ground floor.
- Actually, you would have lost money. Here's how that's possible.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.