NASA Opens First Moon Base on Earth
A new pair of buildings opened at NASA's Ames Research Center use technology and design to create as much energy as they use, modeling what manned bases on other planets will look like.
What's the Latest Development?
Using cutting edge materials and a sustainable design, NASA has opened one of the most efficient buildings in the country, foreshadowing how manned bases on other planets will operate. Inaugurated in Moffett Field, CA, the building was christened 'Sustainability Base' after the 1969 moon landing site 'Tranquility Base'. NASA researcher Pete Worden called it 'the first moon building on the planet Earth' because of all the NASA technology that's been incorporated, "including a water recycling system similar to what is used on the space station, cutting water use by 90 percent."
What's the Big Idea?
Having received the highest possible award for a green building, the LEED platinum rating from the U.S. Green Building Council, NASA officials noted it was a major feat, "made possible by using geothermal wells to take advantage of the earth's temperature for heating and cooling and solar panels and fuel cells to power itself and other buildings." Steve Zornetzer, deputy director of the NASA research site on which the new buildings sit, said, "Imagine if every building from this day on generated more energy than it consumed? What would that mean for our carbon footprint? It's possible, it can be done."
Photo credit: Shutterstock.com
- The meaning of the word 'confidence' seems obvious. But it's not the same as self-esteem.
- Confidence isn't just a feeling on your inside. It comes from taking action in the world.
- Join Big Think Edge today and learn how to achieve more confidence when and where it really matters.
- Bad outcomes get criticized as evidence of bad decisions, but that's not necessarily so.
- Here, poker pro Annie Duke desribes a simple thought experiment that separates decisions from outcomes.
- It is quite possible to make a very good decision that, due to external factors, results in a bad outcome.
Decide to Play Great Poker: A Strategy Guide to No-Limit Texas Hold '’Em
Lauren Miranda sent a nude selfie to a boyfriend years ago. Somehow one of her students discovered it.
- Math teacher Lauren Miranda was fired from her Long Island school when a topless selfie surfaced.
- Miranda had only shared the photo with her ex-boyfriend, who is also a teacher in the school district.
- She's suing the school for $3 million as well as getting her job back, citing gender discrimination.
If you're lacking confidence and feel like you could benefit from an ego boost, try writing your life story.
In truth, so much of what happens to us in life is random – we are pawns at the mercy of Lady Luck. To take ownership of our experiences and exert a feeling of control over our future, we tell stories about ourselves that weave meaning and continuity into our personal identity.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.