Severely corroded sea walls dating back to the time of Napoleon are being blamed for the deaths of at least 50 people in violent storms that ravaged the western coast of France.
Severely corroded sea walls dating back to the time of Napoleon are being blamed for the deaths of at least 50 people in violent storms that ravaged the western coast of France. "In a growing scandal, those left homeless by the disaster on the western coast said proper Atlantic defences could have saved everybody. ‘The sea was being held back by puny walls which were hundreds of years old,’ said a Gilles Aucoin, who lives near the town of L'Aiguillon-sur-Mer. ‘Massive waves were able to crash through our streets and drown people. This should have been predicted a long time ago and dealt with by proper town planning. A mobile home park was near one of the sea walls and that’s where a lot of people drowned.’ President Nicolas Sarkozy, who visited L'Aiguillon today, pledged almost £3 million in emergency aid. ‘It is a national disaster, a human drama with a terrible death toll,’ said Mr Sarkozy, who refused to be drawn into an argument about the defences, saying ‘I don’t want to get involved in a polemic’. Mr Sarkozy added: The urgent thing is to support the families who have members missing or dead.’"
Upstreamism advocate Rishi Manchanda calls us to understand health not as a "personal responsibility" but a "common good."
- Upstreamism tasks health care professionals to combat unhealthy social and cultural influences that exist outside — or upstream — of medical facilities.
- Patients from low-income neighborhoods are most at risk of negative health impacts.
- Thankfully, health care professionals are not alone. Upstreamism is increasingly part of our cultural consciousness.
- Climate change is no longer a financial problem, just a political one.
- Mitigating climate change by decarbonizing our economy would add trillions of dollars in new investments.
- Public attitudes toward climate change have shifted steadily in favor of action. Now it's up to elected leaders.
A new study shows that some men's reaction to sex is not what you'd expect, resulting in a condition previously observed in women.
A plan to forgive almost a trillion dollars in debt would solve the student loan debt crisis, but can it work?
- Sen. Elizabeth Warren has just proposed a bold education reform plan that would forgive billions in student debt.
- The plan would forgive the debt held by more than 30 million Americans.
- The debt forgiveness program is one part of a larger program to make higher education more accessible.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.