Multiple Personalities Across Social Media
While social media has afforded us many things, it’s also given the uncanny ability for a single person to become many different people. All at the same time.
The idea of a person siloing different aspects of her personality, never mind personal and professional personas, into different web-presences seems strange. Or narcissistic and even sinister–a lot like Harry Potter’s Lord Voldemort, who breaks his soul into seven far-flung pieces in an attempt at immortality. As science writer Mark Changizi wrote in a 2010 post, "Figure out who you are, and stick with it!" But upon further inspection, social media’s ability to develop and maintain multiple identities may be one of the most useful marketing powers of the Web.
Are university safe spaces killing intellectual growth?
Our experience of time may be blinding us to its true nature, say scientists.
- Time may not be passing at all, says the Block Universe Theory.
- Time travel may be possible.
- Your perception of time is likely relative to you and limited.
From questionable shipwrecks to outright attacks, they clearly don't want to be bothered.
- Many have tried to contact the Sentinelese, to write about them, or otherwise.
- But the inhabitants of the 23 square mile island in the Bay of Bengal don't want anything to do with the outside world.
- Their numbers are unknown, but either 40 or 500 remain.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.