Money in Emerging Market Medicines
With Asia expected to overtake Europe in pharmaceutical sales, researchers are focusing on the predominant diseases, and the medicines most likely to work, in emerging markets.
With Asia expected to overtake Europe in pharmaceutical sales in the next decade, researchers are taking more interest in the predominant diseases — particularly cancers — in emerging markets. Bethan Hughes investigates the new strategies of large-cap pharmaceutical companies, finding they go beyond anticipating increases in lifestyle-associated diseases (attributed to longer life expectancy and lifestyle changes) in countries including China, India, Brazil, Russia, Korea and Mexico. Big Pharma is also researching use of biomarkers and other techniques to pinpoint the medicines needed, and those most likely to be effective, in emerging markets.
What makes a life worth living as you grow older?
- Dr. Ezekiel Emanuel revisits his essay on wanting to die at 75 years old.
- The doctor believes that an old life filled with disability and lessened activity isn't worth living.
- Activists believe his argument stinks of ageism, while advances in biohacking could render his point moot.
The Amazon Rainforest is often called "The Planet's Lungs."
- For weeks, fires have been burning in the Amazon rainforest in Brazil, likely started by farmers and ranchers.
- Brazil's president, Jair Bolsonaro, has blamed NGOs for starting the flames, offering no evidence to support the claim.
- There are small steps you can take to help curb deforestation in the Amazon rainforest, which produces about 20 percent of the world's oxygen.
Emojis might contain more emotional information than meets the eye.
- A new study shows that people who frequently used emojis in text messages with potential dates engaged in more sexual activity and had more contact with those dates.
- However, the study only shows an association; it didn't establish causality.
- The authors suggest that emojis might help to convey nuanced emotional information that's lacking in strictly text-based messaging.