Missouri School Authorizes Teachers To Carry Guns
And the parents of children who attend the K-8 school, located in the Ozarks, are mostly happy about it, especially since guns are considered a normal part of life.
What's the Latest Development?
A select group of teachers at the 600-student Fairview School in Fairview, MO, have been trained to carry -- and, if necessary, use -- guns during school hours. The announcement appeared in the local newspaper last month, and although it took parents by surprise, the reaction has been largely positive. The teachers, who have not been named, took a 40-hour training course, and all agreed to annual recertification, background checks, mental evaluations, and drug tests. This took place after the school board checked with their insurance provider about liability coverage.
What's the Big Idea?
While schools around the country have been reevaluating their security procedures after December's massacre at Sandy Hook Elementary School, very few have taken the step of arming teachers. However, guns are already a part of the culture in Fairview, which is located in the Ozarks. Many residents learned to shoot and handle guns as children, and hunting deer and turkey is a popular pastime. One reason given for arming teachers was the length of time it would take for authorities to reach the school in the event of an emergency. A principal at another local school says it would take even longer for authorities to reach them, but they're not ready to give teachers guns just yet.
Photo Credit: Shutterstock.com
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
A new study explores how certain personality traits affect individuals' attitudes on obesity in others.
- The study compared personality traits and obesity views among more than 3,000 mothers.
- The results showed that the personality traits neuroticism and extraversion are linked to more negative views and behaviors related to obesity.
- People who scored high in conscientiousness are more likely to experience "fat phobia.
The rise of anti-scientific thinking and conspiracy is a concerning trend.
- Fifty years later after one of the greatest achievements of mankind, there's a growing number of moon landing deniers. They are part of a larger trend of anti-scientific thinking.
- Climate change, anti-vaccination and other assorted conspiratorial mindsets are a detriment and show a tangible impediment to fostering real progress or societal change.
- All of these separate anti-scientific beliefs share a troubling root of intellectual dishonesty and ignorance.
The history of the Geneva Conventions tells us how the international community draws the line on brutality.
- Henry Dunant's work led to the Red Cross and conventions on treating prisoners humanely.
- Four Geneva Conventions defined the rules for prisoners of war, torture, naval and medical personnel and more.
- Amendments to the agreements reflect the modern world but have not been ratified by all countries.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.