Emily Bazelon writes that a citizen charged with a crime needs to be read their Miranda rights—even if they are charged with an act of terrorism.
Many on the right are getting up in arms about the fact that Faisal Shahzad, the Times Square bombing suspect who is an American citizen, was read his Miranda rights. It's sparked a new proposal from the likes of Senator Joe Lieberman to strip people of citizenship automatically when they are charged with a terrorist act. Emily Bazelon, however, thinks it's always the correct position that a citizen should be read their rights, particularly so in this case.
- Acosta will be allowed to return to the White House on Friday.
- The case is still open, and the administration may choose to appeal the ruling.
Progressive America would be half as big, but twice as populated as its conservative twin.
- The new definition of a kilogram is based on a physical constant in quantum physics.
- Unlike the current definition of a kilogram, this measurement will never change.
- Scientists also voted to update the definitions of several other measurements in physics.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.