MIA: Female Math Professors
"Why aren't there more women math professors? Or engineering professors, or physics professors, or professors of computer science or economics?" Is motherhood be to blame?
"Why aren't there more women math professors? Or engineering professors, or physics professors, or professors of computer science or economics?" Why aren't there more women tech entrepreneurs?" "Some people say it's discrimination, others say socialization and few, including a former Harvard university president, have said ability has something to do with it." "But there's another more sinister force at work. Motherhood. Many women do not choose to pursue a tenure-track position right after their PhDs because they are procreating." "Ceci and Williams believe that the solution lies in changing the way tenure is attained."
Orangutans join humans and bees in a very exclusive club
- Orangutan mothers wait to sound a danger alarm to avoid tipping off predators to their location
- It took a couple of researchers crawling around the Sumatran jungle to discover the phenomenon
- This ability may come from a common ancestor
The definition of a kilogram will now be fixed to Planck's constant, a fundamental part of quantum physics.
- The new definition of a kilogram is based on a physical constant in quantum physics.
- Unlike the current definition of a kilogram, this measurement will never change.
- Scientists also voted to update the definitions of several other measurements in physics.
Journaling can help you materialize your ambitions.
- Organizing your thoughts can help you plan and achieve goals that might otherwise seen unobtainable.
- The Bullet Journal method, in particular, can reduce clutter in your life by helping you visualize your future.
- One way to view your journal might be less of a narrative and more of a timeline of decisions.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.