Melanoma Treatment Advances
The F.D.A. has recently approved the drug Yervoy, which is the first treatment shown to extend the lives of late-stage melanoma patients. There are indications it may even cure some.
While early-stage melanoma is more easily treated, late-stage cancer has proven more difficult. "Melanoma is the most dangerous type of skin cancer, killing an estimated 8,700 people annually in the U.S. About 68,000 new cases were diagnosed in 2010, according to the National Cancer Institute. ... The Food and Drug Administration on Friday bolstered the skimpy pharmaceutical arsenal against late-stage melanoma by approving Yervoy, the first drug shown to extend the lives of patients with the deadly skin cancer."
Many governments do not report, or misreport, the numbers of refugees who enter their country.
Controversial map names CEOs of 100 companies producing 71 percent of the world's greenhouse gas emissions.
- Just 100 companies produce 71 percent of the world's greenhouse gases.
- This map lists their names and locations, and their CEOs.
- The climate crisis may be too complex for these 100 people to solve, but naming and shaming them is a good start.
Bernie Sanders reveals an even bigger plan than Elizabeth Warren, but does it go too far?
- Bernie Sanders has released a plan to forgive all the student debt in the country.
- It is even larger than the plan Elizabeth Warren put forward two months ago.
- The plan has drawn criticism for forgiving the debt of both the poor and those well off enough to pay their own debt.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.