Make Way for Social Innovation
What if scientific investment sought to benefit people directly rather than secondarily through technological development? Welcome to the emerging world of social innovation.
When one thinks of scientific research and development, one probably thinks of new medicines and new technologies. But what is scientific R & D meant experimental social programs? "Social innovation, or social entrepreneurism, has become a buzz among policymakers, scientists, and citizens throughout the world. One reason is that social challenges are becoming more numerous, important and urgent, and the cost of not solving them is increasing dramatically, Yuko Harayama said during a panel on social innovation in Washington last week."
In a breakthrough for nuclear fusion research, scientists at China's Experimental Advanced Superconducting Tokamak (EAST) reactor have produced temperatures necessary for nuclear fusion on Earth.
- The EAST reactor was able to heat hydrogen to temperatures exceeding 100 million degrees Celsius.
- Nuclear fusion could someday provide the planet with a virtually limitless supply of clean energy.
- Still, scientists have many other obstacles to pass before fusion technology becomes a viable energy source.
Giving our solar system a "slap in the face."
- A stream of galactic debris is hurtling at us, pulling dark matter along with it
- It's traveling so quickly it's been described as a hurricane of dark matter
- Scientists are excited to set their particle detectors at the onslffaught
The 116th Congress is set to break records in term of diversity among its lawmakers, though those changes are coming almost entirely from Democrats.
- Women and nonwhite candidates made record gains in the 2018 midterms.
- In total, almost half of the newly elected Congressional representatives are not white men.
- Those changes come almost entirely from Democrats; Republican members-elect are all white men except for one woman.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.